Neck Pain and Chiropractic
Neck pain is extremely prevalent, with studies showing that up to 70-75% of the population will experience neck pain sometime in their lives.
The neck, also called the cervical spine, begins at the base of the skull and contains seven small vertebrae. Incredibly, the cervical spine supports the full weight of your head, which is on average about 11 pounds. While the structure and tissues of the cervical spine allow for movement of the head in nearly every direction, this flexibility makes the neck very susceptible to pain and injury.
Neck pain may be a dull ache or stiffness or an acute problem, where it feels like something is trapped and the muscles can go into spasm. With neck pain it is possible to get pain, pins and needles or numbness in your arm if a nerve is being trapped. This is similar to Sciatica, often associated with lower back pain.
The neck’s susceptibility to injury is due in part to biomechanics. Poor posture, poor desk ergonomics, poor sleeping position, previous whiplash trauma, normal aging and everyday wear and tear can be some of the things that can contribute or trigger your neck pain. Stress and emotional tension can also cause muscles to tighten and contract, resulting in pain and stiffness in the neck. Whatever the cause, neck pain can be very bothersome and have a huge impact on your quality of life.
People experiencing neck pain often turn to chiropractic care for help because it is very effective. By restoring mobility in your joints and relieving stress on the nervous system, chiropractic offers neck pain treatment that aims to fix the source of the pain rather than just treat its symptoms. This no-drug, no-surgery approach may be the answer you’ve been looking for.
The approach at Herts Family Chiropractic is very holistic and always patient centred. Spinal adjustments or the activator method are used to help loosen up the joints of the cervical vertebrae in the neck, and along with cervical traction can reduce pain caused by pinched nerves and muscle spasms. Our fully tailored treatment plans may also include neck and postural exercises to do at home and suggestions for a healthier lifestyle; incorporating more exercise, good desk ergonomics, better nutrition and improved sleep.
If you are unsure if Chiropractic care can help your neck pain, please contact 07947678375 to find out more.
Self-help Tips to Prevent Neck Pain
There are several simple strategies that can help to prevent the onset of neck pain. Amongst them are:
- Maintain good posture at all times and limit looking down at your phone to avoid ‘text neck’
- Remain active and engage in some form of exercise for 30 minutes daily.
- Don't stay in one position for too long and do some gentle neck stretches daily.
- Make some ergonomic adjustments. Position your computer monitor at eye level and use the hands-free function on your phone or wear a headset.
- If you wear glasses, keep your prescription up to date to avoid having to lean forward or back to see or read.
- Avoid sleeping on your stomach
- Don't use too many pillows. Limit it to one supportive pillow and sleep on your side or your back.
- If your dentist has told you you grind your teeth (bruxinate) during the night, make sure you wear your retainer to limit this.
- Know your limits. If you need to move or carry a heavy object, consider what it might do to your neck and ask for help.